- Removing gold jewelry prone to wear and tear before any strenuous activity is advisable. Likewise, wearing gold jewelry after you are done with makeup and putting on perfume is a good idea.
- Keep gold away from repeated exposure to Chlorine, chlorinated and acid rich cleaning products, swimming pools and Jacuzzis. They can weaken your jewelry or damage its finish. Take it off altogether if there is chance that the jewelry will come in contact with these substances.
- Another very important aspect of taking care of your jewelry is to clean it regularly. You can get it done by your local jeweler, have it professionally cleaned
- Storing it safely in a jewelry box, separate for each piece or keeping it wrapped in a soft cloth is important.Finally, always inspect your gold jewelry for weakness or damage and take it to a professional jeweler for immediate repair. Pay particular attention to clasps, prongs, bracelet and neck chain links, pin backs and earring posts, wedding bands, pendants. They are subject to wear and tear.
Gemstones/Gemstone Jewelry Care
- Gemstone jewelry needs very little care, but one needs to be careful. A few steps can help make the gemstone jewelry look like new & sparkling for a long time.
- Quality is a major concern when it comes to the longevity and care of gemstone. It means that less expensive stones will not last as long as the best stones. So even with good care it can happen that an inferior piece of jewelry won’t last long.
- Diamond jewelry can be cleaned with dish soap, warm water and a toothbrush, as it is one of the strongest and most durable precious stones. Always remember to rinse and dry the piece of jewelry well.
- It is better to put on your gemstone jewelry after applying cosmetics, as the last thing you would be wearing. Further, while you remove the piece of jewelry, make sure you gently wipe of any amount of make up on the piece.
- Sometimes, you can get the cleaning of gemstone jewelry professionally done.
- For some of the softer stones like Opal and Lapiz Lazuli it is not advisable to keep them soaked in soap water as they can lose their sheen.
- Keeping gemstones away from extreme temperature and potentially rough conditions is essential.
- Gemstone jewelry should be kept away neatly wrapped, in a soft cloth. Make sure that the gemstones, especially diamonds, don’t scratch the gold.
- Check if the claws holding your diamond and connecting it with the precious metal setting are properly in contact with the stone. Make sure they are tight.